When the Colombian dancer and choreographer, Alberto “Beto” Perez created a dance fitness program, little could he have imagine that this initiative of the 90s would spread by the 21st century to more than a 100 countries in roughly 2,00,000 locations. So when you fuse dance around choreography that assimilates hip-hop, soca, samba, salsa, meringue and mambo with some aerobic elements encompassing squats and lunges, what you get out of the mishmash-ed medley is what we call Zumba. With an increasing number of people realising the value of physical exertion for their bodies, a special mention needs to be dedicated to this form of exercise. Statistics mark out a clear 15 million people around the world taking weekly Zumba classes. The entertainment factor couldn’t have been infused more into a workout, as for the first time, people can sweat their fat out with a smile on their faces!
These regimes are led by instructors licensed by Zumba Fitness Program, LLC. The one main aim that Zumba instructors have to accomplish through the classes is to let the music do the talking. The workout mixes low and high intensity moves at intervals, making it suitable for all age groups. It uses a particular set of steps that are repeated as the playlist is turned on. The benefits of this dance fitness program combines elements of cardio, muscle conditioning, balance and flexibility, boosted energy and the feel of progressing towards a healthier version of you after each session. The list however, does not end here.
- Weight Loss– Along with being known to be calorie-burners, the sessions are extremely helpful for people looking at weight loss. Along with being known to be calorie-burners, the sessions are extremely helpful for people looking at weight loss. Continuous and regular practice of the routine tends to ultimately increase the aerobic threshold and stamina for individuals. It lowers the blood pressure by working on the cardiovascular system. The moves of the dance are such that they work on your muscle tone. The squats and twists hence, tone your entire body without specific deliberation and improve your coordination as well as your body’s balance.
- Therapy– Exercise physiologist Nicole Gunning says on WebMD that people attend these classes for more than just calorie burn. Zumba is a stress reliever, a psychiatrist, a counsellor, a hobby class and a social platform. The upbeat moves that Zumba entails trigger the release of mood-improving endorphins. It can go as far as healing depression if the individual allows. As Gunning says, “You have to be most uninhibited to get the most benefit out of the workout.” It rejuvenates the mind and serves more as a mental exercise. BY the simple procedure of lowering inhibitions, Zumba hence works on building or boosting confidence.
- Quick! – They say time flies and storms away when you’re having fun. If hard, sweating and sloggish workouts are more than you can handle, Zumba is what you are looking for. You will soon start to lose track of the hours spent dancing to your favourite songs and might just be more than willing to extend the periods. The social connections that one can build here seem enough reason to laugh out loud while shedding all those extra kilos.
- Metabolism Rate- The workout naturally improves your metabolism rates by targeting your muscles and calories. This basically implies that relatively, the body burns more fat even while it is at rest. It is a great start to control the body weight and push a little harder to achieve the desired goals.
Zumba claims to tend to all age groups from 0-100. For the same purpose it is classified into nine types for different levels of age and exertion.
- Zumba Gold targets the old an elderly. It uses low intensity moves and focuses on coordination, range of motion and balance.
- Zumba Step aims to sculpt the body’s core and strengthen the glutes and legs. It is belnd of Zumba moves and step aerobics.
- Zumba Toning is a cardio workout and serves those who use toning sticks. It focuses on specific muscle groups including abs, thighs and arms and improving rhythm and coordination.
- Aqua Zumba as the name suggests comprises of high energy aquatic exercises and a challenge to the resistance of water for every move. The imoact on joints is reduced.
- Zumba kids and Zumba kids junior are both based on the original Zumba choreography but only make it kid-friendly. Certain activities are added for the attraction of the children as well as their learning.
- Zumba in the Circuit combines dance and circuit training for those who wish todoso for the purpose of strength exercises.
- Zumba Sentao has the characteristic feature of using a chair for some high intensity workouts. The goal is to use body weight to strengthen the body for resistance training.
While it is undisputable that fitness and health have climbed up on the priority list for almost everyone, it would be unfair to deny people the little perks that this can bring. Everyone wants to have fun. What better way to combine the needs of the mind and the heart and sway your body to the hum. Like the founder said “Ditch the workout, join the party!
Featured Image Source: holafitness